Join the Powertrain Engineering Laboratory in Hagerstown as we continue on our exciting journey to best meet regulations and customer needs while providing a vibrant workplace for our employees. The lab in Hagerstown is one of a series of global Powertrain Engineering Laboratories which focuses on research and development of heavy duty Mack and Volvo truck engines and transmissions.
Building on success, adapting for the future
Within the laboratory we are responsible for the durability and performance test platforms for our powertrains, and the verification testing of our products. We fulfill the laboratory and verification requirements for today and shape the testing needs for the future. Today we are testing and developing diesel engines, transmissions, axles, and verifying complete powertrains in trucks. In addition we have a strong focus on preparation for the future to meet regulatory, customer and e-mobility requirements. Part of that future includes the construction and operation of a chassis dynamometer facility with emissions and climate capability.
Responsibilities / Main Tasks
The Hagerstown Verification and Testing Group is responsible for the operation, calibration, maintenance and upgrades/installations of the Powertrain Laboratory, plus the verification and validation testing of powertrain components and complete powertrains. The Verification and Testing group, located in Hagerstown, MD, is part of the 250 member Powertrain Engineering organization located in both Hagerstown, MD and Greensboro, NC.
As Engineer, Lab Maintenance, your responsibilities will include:
- Evaluation and optimization of HVAC, Mechanical systems, and Dynamometers
- Design solutions to maximize uptime and improve efficiency of building systems and associated testing equipment
- Work with other engineers, technicians, contractors and commissioning agents to program and validate BAS (Building Automation System) to support mission critical powertrain testing
- Identify, implement and maintain safe work practices and tools / equipment to ensure safety
- Generate scope of work and presentation for various project installations
- Provide support and lead lab upgrade projects, both definition and implementation
- Work with local and global lab community to understand and implement appropriate maintenance methods, procedures and improvements
- Provide expense and capital budget input to support the engine testing laboratory
Who are we looking for?
You are a proven leader with a strong will to deliver results and develop teams. You possess a positive “can do” attitude. You drive accountability for yourself and those within your organization. You have a passion and understanding for combustion engines, drivelines, the testing environment and facilities. You embody collaboration, trust and continuous improvement to deliver excellence. You have the courage to challenge the known and welcome new ideas, and you make recommendations and decisions to deliver the highest quality. You are a champion for safe work practices and employee development. You inspire innovation within your team and you are flexible in addressing new challenges to continuously optimize solutions. You can balance between strategic plans and short-term activities. You are comfortable in taking difficult decisions, dealing with uncertainties and standing up for the values of our company.
Qualifications of the successful candidate include:
- Preferred bachelor’s degree in building automation, mechanical, electrical or civil engineering or closely related field and 5 (Five) years’ experience in working with building systems, including heating ventilation, air conditioning
- You should be able to work with BacNet (Building automation and control networks)
- Experience in optimizing building mechanical plant operations for comfort, health, energy efficiency and appropriate safety protocols
- Experience preparing a Statement of Work to include control systems and BAS (Building Automation Systems) infrastructure
- Strong ability to troubleshoot complex building and mechanical issues using conventional problem solving skills as well as integrated software diagnosis
- You are well experienced in lab infrastructure maintenance, especially considering tests cells, test cell support systems and building systems
Reports to: Group Manager—Lab Maintenance
We look forward to seeing your application.
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus and Volvo Penta.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support. With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We Participate in E-verify